Darwinizm a wegetarianizm

Ahimsa - poszanowanie życia. " Ochrona życia zarówno istot ludzkich, jak i zwierząt, jest zasadniczym obowiązkiem rządu. Rząd nie musi czynić rozróżnienia w takich zasadach. Po prostu jest to straszne dla duszy o czystym sercu, kiedy widzi zorganizowaną przez państwo rzeź zwierząt w tym wieku Kali." - 01.17.08 Zn.
Awatar użytkownika
Rasasthali

Darwinizm a wegetarianizm

Post autor: Rasasthali » 28 kwie 2007, 14:14

Czy darwinizm/ewolucjonizm moze dac nam jakies argumenty np przeciwko jedzeniu miesa? Byc moze tak!

Przytaczam tu wpis z bloga mojego meza, moge przetlumaczyc jak chcecie:

A Darwinian Argument For Vegetarianism

I've been a vegetarian for most of my adult life. Although I've always felt strongly that the needless killing of animals that is and has been such a central feature of Western civilizations is morally wrong, but recently I've come to feel even stronger about it. Last night I had a dream, and based on this dream I'm going to make an argument against the slaughter of animals.

Animals such as cows, chickens, lambs, and pigs are certainly less intelligent, and certainly have less complex emotions than humans do. However, one of the great contributions of Charles Darwin's Descent of Man (1871) was to argue that man must have descended from lower vertebrates because they also have limited forms of reason, aesthetic appreciation, emotions, etc. Of course, we all know this to be true. Any dog owner knows that dogs are sad when they see their owner leaving, happy upon his return and that they can think and reason in remedial ways. We know how clever squirrels and raccoons can be in the matter of getting the food they want. I've had the pleasure to spend a few weeks serving in a cow hospital in Vrindavana, India. This hospital took in cows that have been hit by cars and trucks, or have been abandoned to die by their owner. (Even in the land of Krishna, who is the lover of cows, the residents of Vrindavana do severely mistreat and abuse cows.) Based on my experience in helping these cows, I can say without any doubt, that they have very developed emotions, and they are able to think and reason in a limited manner.

I take it as a given that cows, and even lower animals like pigs, chickens and lambs have limited forms of reason and emotion. Certainly there is a huge gap between the rational and emotional capacities of the animals that humans typically slaughter and human beings themselves. Some people say that it is because humans are so much smarter that they are justified in killing animals because they are so far less developed than humans. However, conduct the following thought experiment:

In the future human beings make contact with an alien race who posses intelligence and emotional sensitivity that is much greater than ours. Let us say they are as smart to us as we are to a chicken. In other words, the gap in intelligence between a human and a chicken is the same between a human and this alien race.

Suppose the aliens wanted to breed us as a food and energy source; would they be justified? Those people that think humans are justified in killing animals because animals have less developed intellects and emotions run into trouble with this question. People often say that we can kill animals because they don't understand pain, fear or separation from their children the way a smart human does. In the same way, these super intelligent aliens could say that because humans are so much less intelligent one is justified in using them for one's own purposes. But of course if it did come to be the case that aliens bred humans merely for food, those same humans that had been getting fat and happy off the bodies of animals would feel their rights had been violated.

The cow gives us so much: the milk for our cereal, the cream for our tea and coffee, the cheese for our pizza, yogert, butter, and so many other delights. It is cruel, heartless and completely ungrateful to then kill those very creatures who give us so many pleasures. A civilization based on such ingratitude, which India is swiftly becoming, just as the West always has been, is surely not the sort of civilization that will create persons of good character who can lead and guide us to peace and prosperity.

Although Darwin is often criticized by Vaishnavas, one of the great contributions he did make is to show that so-called lower animals have the sorts of emotions and mental powers that humans have, and this fact suggests meat-eaters need to rethink the morality of meat-eating.
http://actinidia.wordpress.com/

Awatar użytkownika
gndd

Re: Darwinizm a wegetarianizm

Post autor: gndd » 28 kwie 2007, 15:21

Fajny artykul. Pozwolisz, ze bede miala kilka pytan i kometarzy abstrahujace od tytulu, a zatem celu artykulu. Bede sie czepiac szczegolow. ;)
Rasasthali pisze:Animals such as cows, chickens, lambs, and pigs are certainly less intelligent, and certainly have less complex emotions than humans do.
Nie chce dysputowac tych stwierdzen, ale ciekawa jestem jakie sa argumenty/dowody na to, ze zwierzeta sa "mniej zlozone emocjonalnie" od czlowieka? Twoj maz pisze pozniej, ze "I can say without any doubt, that they have very developed emotions, and they are able to think and reason in a limited manner." Ograniczone myslenie przyjmuje intuicyjnie ;), ale jak wygladaja dowody wzgledem uczuc? Twoj maz o roznicy tej wspomina kilkakrotnie.
Rasasthali pisze:However, conduct the following thought experiment:
Wydaje mi sie, ze eksperyment moze byc trudny do przeprowadzenia ze wzgledu na brak dostepu do przybyszy z kosmosu. ;)
Rasasthali pisze:People often say that we can kill animals because they don't understand pain, fear or separation from their children the way a smart human does. In the same way, these super intelligent aliens could say that because humans are so much less intelligent one is justified in using them for one's own purposes.
To jest ciekawy argument i przemawiajacy zwlaszcza w swietle roznic miedzy ludzmi jesli chodzi o odczuwanie bolu, strachu czy rozlaki z dziecmi. Jesli te trzy czynniki mialyby byc decydujace, to mozna powiedziec, ze osoba, ktora nie odczuwa bolu czy strachu (co sie moze zdarzyc pod roznymi warunkami) jest jak zwierze i mozna ja zabic. To samo jesli chodzi o rozlake. Sa przypadki ludzi, ktorzy nie sa zdolni do takich uczuc. Co z nimi? Tego typu kryteria zdaja sie potwierdzac powiedzienie, ktore ktos gdziesz przytoczyl, ze Auschwitz ma swoj poczatek w przyzwoleniu na zabijanie zwierzat.
Govindanandini

We don't get it, so we fear it. (Bob Geldof)
http://podserve.biggu.com/podcasts/show/iskcon-studies
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12994088@N06/sets/72157601908066950/

ODPOWIEDZ